The Programmes in Department of Biological Sciences empowers graduates with unique skills and techniques in the various specializations which are important in solving relevant challenges locally and globally. Students will be exposed to both pure and applied courses to satisfy the manpower needs within the community. It combines theoretical principles with a pragmatic approach to proffering solutions not only to undertake post-graduate work but also motivating them to become excellent employees or entrepreneurs.
The objectives of the B.Sc. degree in Biological Science are to:
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of biological knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop in students the ability to apply knowledge and skills to solving theoretical and practical problems in biology.
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in biological as well as non-biological employment.
- To provide students with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of biological sciences or multi-disciplinary areas involving biology.
- To provide, through training and orientation, an appreciation of the rewards of inter- and multi-disciplinary approach to the solution of complex life problems.
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of biology in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
- To instil in students a sense of enthusiasm for biology, an appreciation of its application in different contexts and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
- UTME—for admission into any of the first degree programs of the university, candidates are required to possess the following minimum qualifications: SSCE or its equivalents with credit level passes in five subjects at not more than two (2) sittings. These include English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Candidates must also earn an acceptable score in the post UTME screening. (ii) Direct Entry—Candidates seeking admission by Direct Entry into 200 Level must have at least five (5) O'level credits, with a minimum of two
- Relevant subjects at GCE/IJMB Advanced level or any approved equivalents in relevant science subjects.