Programmes in Department of Biological Sciences comprise the following:- Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology and Biotechnology.
Students enrolled in any of these programmes are equipped to function as grounded Scientists with enormous details of handling challenges in these areas of discipline where they are applicable at various sectors of the economy.
The students will also be trained to develop their thinking skill to enable them improve their work by innovation, research and problem solving ideas. This will make them employable and also have focus of further self- development.
In the course of their training, the students will be made to engage in industries related to their programmes for exposure to industrial setting. These include hospitals and health related organizations research Institutions , research institutions, fisheries and Agro allied industries, Environmental management and pollution control Agencies, Agriculture and pest control agencies and lots more. This exposure will make them to develop self confidence in their studying programmes and this will make them employable.
In addition their exposure to industries will make some of them to develop initiative of establishing small enterprising of their own in the application of their training.
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of biological knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop in students the ability to apply knowledge and skills to solving theoretical and practical problems in biology.
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in biological as well as non-biological employment
- To provide students with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of biological sciences or multi-disciplinary areas involving biology.
- To provide, through training and orientation, an appreciation of the rewards of inter- and multi-disciplinary approach to the solution of complex life problems.
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of biology in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
- To instill in students a sense of enthusiasm for biology, an appreciation of its application in different contexts and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
- UTME—for admission into any of the first degree programs of the university, candidates are required to possess the following minimum qualifications: SSCE or its equivalents with credit level passes in five subjects at not more than two (2) sittings. The admission requirements for Biology, Biochemistry and Microbiology are English language, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics, while for biotechnology its English language, mathematics, biology, and two other subjects out of agricultural science, chemistry, geography, and physics. Candidates must also earn an acceptable score in the post UTME screening.
- Direct Entry—Candidates seeking admission by Direct Entry into 200 Level must have at least five (5) O’level credits, with a minimum of two (2) relevant subjects at GCE/IJMB Advanced level or any approved equivalents in relevant science subjects.
|1||PROF. AKINWANDE, Amos|
|2||Prof SMITH, I Stella (Adjunct)|
|3||Mrs AYODELE Opeyemi|
|4||Mrs ADEFISAN Ikeoluwapo Olanike|
|5||Mr. Gabriel Abah|
|6||Mr. Sylvester Agha Ibemgbo|
|7||Dr. AKANDE, S Idowu (Adjunct)|
|8||Dr. Mrs. OPERE, O Bolanle (Adjunct)|
|9||Dr. SAMUEL, A Titilayo (Adjunct)|
|10||Dr. JAMES, B Ayorinde (Adjunct)|
|11||Dr. OYEBANJI, O Elizabeth (Adjunct)|