The programme is planned to provide persons with the opportunity of obtaining broad knowledge and skill in both theoretical and practical aspects of Computer Science. Students will be taught and trained on how to write programs for problem solving, software and application development, thus leading to production highly innovative and creative graduates that are competent enough to stand on their own in the labour market
Career opportunities in Computer Science include:
- Software Systems Developer
- Database Administrator
- Network Systems Administrator
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Multimedia Programmer
- System Analyst
- IT Consultant
- Web Developers
- Games Developer
- Computer Programmers
- Teaching/ Lecturing etc.
The objectives of the B.Sc. degree in Computer science consist of the following:
- Provide a sound knowledge and systematic understanding of the principles of Computer Science.
- Provide computing skills that will be of lasting value in a field that is constantly changing
- Train students in necessary computing skills and programming languages that will be of lasting value in a field that is constantly changing
- Engage in appropriate research activities, and, hence, produce the most sought-after engineers by all employers of labour, post graduate schools and research institutes.
- Establish industry-institution linkages for mutually beneficial relationships.
- To produce graduates with adequate knowledge and skill needed for further studies in Computer Science or other closely related field.
- Provide State-of-the-art technological training that prepares the graduates for responsibilities of the workplace.
(i.) UTME– for admission into Computer Science first degree programme of the University, candidates are required to possess at least credit level passes in five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Physics to form the core subjects with credit in any other two relevant science subjects at SSCE or its equivalents at not more than two (2) sittings. In addition, candidates must also earn an acceptable pass in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and post UTME screening.
(ii.) Direct Entry—Candidates seeking admission by Direct Entry into 200 level Computer Science degree programme of the University must have at least five (5) O’level credits with a minimum of two (2) relevant subjects at Advance level of any approved equivalents
- Computer Science