The Religious Studies programmes are designed to cover all the facets of religious phenomena as they affect the history, tradition, economics, social, political and ethics of man. The effect of this approach is to develop man in his existential reality to produce an all-round society in realizing life objectives. Here at the Department of Philosophy and Religion, Religion is believed as that which affects the total man viz: spirit, soul, and body; that is the programme addresses every facet of human endeavour including his spiritual, social, economic, political, psychological, and even scientific perspective of life. Thus, the programme is multi-disciplinary in essence.
The objective of the B.A. degree programme in Philosophy and Religious Studies is to study religion so as to discover, establish or preserve truth. The purpose of the Department as set out in the brochure of the University.
The entry requirements for UTME: 4 Year Degree Programme:
- Five (5) Credit level passes in the SSCE/NECO/GCE (O/L) to include English Language, Mathematics and CRK/BK/Government/Its equivalent /Any Nigerian Language at not more than one sitting.
- The Candidate could have at least six O'Level papers including English Language, Christian Religious Studies and at least one other Arts subject at credit level in WAEC or NECO or GCE Ordinary Level or its equivalent at not more than two sitting.
Direct Entry Student (3 Years Defree Programme) may be eligible for admission into 200 level if they have any of the following in addition to the University/College general admission requirements:
- Five credits in General Certificate of Education, Ordinary Level and NECO at least two of which must be a GCE Advanced Level including Christian Religious Knowledge.
- A pass in two principal subjects at the NCE Level/ A/L plus five subjects at credit level in GCE, SSCE and NECO including English Language and Mathematics.
- A Three-Year Diploma in Theology recognized by the University plus five credits at the GCE 'O' Level including English Language and Mathematics.
- iv) A minimum of 2 GCE (A/L) passes one of which must be any one of the specified in (i) above, or Diploma in Religious Studies or Diploma in the relevant Arts programmes.