July 30, 2022
The Future of Work is Digital- Ag. Dean, Students’ Affairs
Students have been charged to embrace the digital culture and take advantage of the numerous opportunities that abound in it. Making this disclosure at the Maiden Edition of the Zenith Bank-Google Digital Training for Undergraduates, held in the University, the Ag. Dean, Students’ Affairs, Dr. Moses A. Abiala stated that the future of work has moved from Analog to Digital.
According to him, “The training has been organised so that students can be grounded in the future of work.” Speaking at the event, the MTU Branch Manager, Zenith Bank Plc., Mrs. Angela Okpara, charged the Nigerian youths to embrace technological advancements. In her words, “We need to be abreast of the happenings around the world.” Delivering his lecture, titled: “Financial Literacy: Understanding the Importance of Savings”, the Retail Banking Officer, Zenith Bank Plc., Mr. Olawale Ali, disclosed that “Understanding money and how it flows is necessary for life.” He added that having a budget and savings is a reliever of financial constraints.
According to him, a budget is a summary of the money you expect to come in (income) and the money you plan to spend (expenses) over a specific period.
In the same vein, he outlined the following measures for creating a budget:
- Distinguish between your “needs” and “want”.
- Create your expenditure list.
- Go through the list and write down how much you spend on expenses.
- Add up all of the items on the list and subtract them from your available resources and then you will have an idea of how much you have leftover to spend on other stuff or better yet, save!
Similarly, Mr. Olawale described Savings as “putting money aside now to use in the future”. He noted the following places where money can be saved:
- Money saved should be placed in a financial institution for safekeeping and to earn interest on the money.
- Saving your money in a box, wallet or money box at home is a good starting point.
In his concluding remarks, he recommended the following template for Savings:
- Savings & Investing: At least 20% of your income should be put away for a rainy day.
- Giving: 10% of your earnings can be put away in the giving account to be used towards donations & charity.
- Spending: 70% of your money should be spent on necessities like bills, groceries and toiletries.
The second day of the training was equally participatory. The Google™ trainer, Mr. Femi Ilori, present at the event noted that “the internet world changes with or without you”. During his lecture titled: “Staying Productive Online”, he stated that there is a difference between being online and being productive online.
He added that the advent of COVID-19 has given rise to remote working. According to him, remote work is a working style that allows professionals to work outside of a traditional office environment. It is based on the concept that work does not need to be done in a specific place to be successfully executed.
He stated that in other to work remotely, there is a need for; a dedicated workspace, devices and internet. In having a dedicated workspace, Mr. Ilori gave the following guidelines:
- Avoid the bed or couch.
- Set up a table or chair.
- Make sure the space is comfortable.
- Consider your posture.
The two-day digital training for Undergraduates was put together by Zenith Bank Plc. in partnership with Google™, a foremost multinational technology company. The intensive training was held from 25th to 26th April 2022, at the University Multipurpose Hall.